Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Is It Alive...???

Of Spiders...

Yesterday, close to the birdie clock in my parents bedroom, I found a skinny, misshapen, slim-legged spider that looked like it had been sun-dried after too much exercise. I came to the conclusion that it was dead, but did nothing to take it off the wall...shudder shudder...So I left it there, watching it lifelessly fly to the breeze of the fan...shudder shudder...

The next morning, I was glad to see that the birdie clock was once again surrounded by a clean patch of wall. I turned around, and there the shudder-inducing creature was, on the other wall. I must give it credit for standing firm despite the fan breeze. Now it's scrunched up in a tiny cluster of itself, giving me 'the shudders' as usual. I've never really watched spiders for this long before because-

a. I don't like coming in contact with them

b. I think I'll get rashes at the sight of them

c. I think they can fly

d. They give me 'the shudders'

e. There's nothing itsy-bitsy about them

f. Well...they're...spiders

However, it was very interesting watching it exercise and get into all these funny poses...

...and this is what I write when I'm unable to study! See? Spiders can be distractions too!

This reminds of the giant black spider I had the misfortune of seeing in a very awkward position a few weeks ago.
On the window sill of the high glass window by the staircase leading to my house is a little family of miniature animal dolls- all very happy to be there, all very cute.
One day, on my way downstairs, I was thinking how cute the dolls looked in the sunlight when I saw that giant black spider taking refuge behind the hen's backside. The hen willingly mothered it for a couple of days until the spider began it's mischievous rendezvous with the rest of the family, finally deciding to hang on to the yellow puppy's tail.

I casually mentioned it as a joke to my parents. My mother laughed. My father looked straight ahead. The next morning, the family of miniature animal dolls looked liberated, and the hen looked as though she had laid a golden egg...thank you...to my father...

2 comments:

Vijaya said...

Of spiders and wasps... Love your humour and style!

Ritu Gopal said...

Thank you! Wasps?